Re: problems installing optim on OSX 10.9

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: problems installing optim on OSX 10.9
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 08:57:26 -0400

On Jul 10, 2014, at 5:48 AM, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Bens reply has possibly solved your problem, but for the record:
>
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 06:28:29PM -0700, sdorsher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Octave using MacPorts on my MacBook, which runs OSX 10.9. None
>> of the packages seem to have installed with it. Now I am trying to figure
>> out how to install optim, which requires miscellaneous, which requires
>> general. It also requires struct.
>>
>> When I try to install struct via pkg install -forge struct at the octave
>> command line, I get the following error message.
>>
>> mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
>> mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
>> mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
>> mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
>
> This should be harmless.
>
>> For information about changes from previous versions of the struct package,
>> run 'news ("struct")'.
>>

>> When I try to install general via pkg install -forge general at the octave
>> command line, I get the following error message.
>>
>> unpackfields.cc:92:39: error: no member named 'assign' in 'symbol_table'
>>                        symbol_table::assign (fld_names(i), map.content...
>>                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
>> unpackfields.cc:117:35: error: no member named 'assign' in 'symbol_table'
>>                    symbol_table::assign (fld_names(i), val);
>>                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
>> 2 errors generated.
>> make: *** [unpackfields.oct] Error 1
>> 'make' returned the following error: /opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 SHA1.cc
>> /opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 mark_for_deletion.cc
>> /opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 packfields.cc
>> /opt/local/bin/mkoctfile-3.6.4 unpackfields.cc
>> error: called from 'pkg>configure_make' in file
>> /opt/local/share/octave/3.6.4/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1385, column 9
>> error: called from:
>> error:   /opt/local/share/octave/3.6.4/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 827, column 5
>> error:   /opt/local/share/octave/3.6.4/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 383, column 9
>
> There seems to have been a change in `general', which makes `general'
> actually depend on Octave-3.8... or later.
>
> (@Carnë:
> r12544
> * unpackfields.cc: symbol_table::varref() has been deprecated in Octave 3.8.
> Replaced with a call to symbol_table::asign(). ...)
>
> Current `optim' does not depend on `miscellaneous' anymore, but there
> is no release yet. I don't think you'll have Mercurial installed on
> OSX, but if you have, you can try:
>
> $  hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/optim octave-optim
> $  tar -czf optim-1.3.1.tar.gz octave-optim
> (start Octave)
> octave:1> pkg install optim-1.3.1.tar.gz
>
> We could probably also make an intermediate `optim' release now, if
> really necessary.
>
> Olaf

If any oct-files need to be built, this will likely fail ... unless the user
makes sure the same gcc toolchain is in place. In the past, it was also
necessary to make sure all the flags were set consistently was well ($GCC,
$LDFLAGS, etc).

Due ot the difficulty in have individuals build the Octave-Forge packages on
MacOS X, both Macports and Fink provide their own packages.

Ben