Re: Discrete wavelet analysis

From: Alois Schloegl
Subject: Re: Discrete wavelet analysis
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:02:14 +0200

On 06/29/2014 12:13 AM, Helios de Rosario wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in multiresolution analysis with wavelets in Octave. My
> starting point is some routines that use functions from Matlab's Wavelet
> Toolbox, so things would be easier if there were some package for Octave
> that defines them.
>
> However, I'm not sure what is the current situation in relation to this
> topic. I have read recommendations to using WaveLab, or the package
> ltfat, that implement a wide array of functions to work with wavelets.
> That might be ok for my purposes, although the transition from Matlab
> would not be that straightforward.
>
> I have failed to understand if the Octave community generally sees such
> packages as something like a "definitive" alternative to Matlab's
> wavelet toolbox, or it is just that a more "clonic" alternative is still
> not available, and in the meanwhile they are the best/more convenient
> tools to work with.

I've been using this wavelet toolbox:
  http://paos.colorado.edu/research/wavelets/
  http://paos.colorado.edu/research/wavelets/software.html
which works on both, Matlab and Octave.

I can not speak for the whole octave community, but can provide a
personal opinion on that.

Given the fact that there are a number of
wavelet toolboxes for Matlab/Octave around, it should be ok, if one or
the other of these toolboxes are used. And Mathworks was certainly not
the first coming up with a wavelet-tb.

However, it's important that the same toolbox can be used on both,
Matlab and Octave, without the need for modification. Using
Octave-specific syntax that is not supported by Matlab is detrimental to
that. The proliferation of different wavelet toolboxes would just continue.

- -- Alois