Re: installing java and apache for using spreadsheet I/O

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: installing java and apache for using spreadsheet I/O
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:04:43 -0700 (PDT)

rcharan51 wrote

First of all please don't top-post. Answer below the mail. That makes it
easier to follow discussions. Thanks,

> Thank you very much for the reply. Your prediction is correct, i am using
> octave3.8.1 (with io 2.2.2) from( http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/)
> on windows8.1 on which i am not able to install java package so i am
> trying
> to install 3.8 on windows xp so do you think xlsread and
> xlswrite are going to work on windows XP ?

The actual windows version doesn't matter much. The issue is with that
binary from http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/ using the Java-based interfaces. It's
maker didn't bother to include Java support into the build.

However:
- For .xlsx (Excel 2007+) (and .ods and .gnumeric) you do not need any extra
SW. Read/write will work out of the box using io-2.2.2 (but I now that I
mention, think I fixed a bug for it lately, that fix will be in upcoming
io-2.2.3) - just try.

- If you got Excel installed, all you need to do is install the windows
package (and after installation, load it). Then you can read any file
supported by Excel itself.

In the Octave installation directory there's a subdir src/ that contains
that package, plus a build script build_packages.m that installs a few more
packages.
Remember to load the required packages using "pkg load <package-name>"
(don't include version number).

Philip