Re: problem building geometry package, Ubuntu 14.04

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: problem building geometry package, Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 15:28:39 +0200

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM, Robin Urselli <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Juan Pablo,
> we already tried the version from apt, but we also had problems installing
> octave packages.
> But your other way seems to work. I have tried on a Ubuntu 14.04 multicore
> virtual machine, and with CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/mpi make -j8 I'm able to
> compile and later to install geometry dev and all other packages without
> problems.
> I will soon try on my real pc.
>
> Thank you very much in the meantime!!
>
> Robin
>

> Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 at 11:38 PM
>
> From: "Juan Pablo Carbajal" <address@hidden>
> To: "Robin Urselli" <address@hidden>, "Octave Help"
> <address@hidden>
>
> Subject: Re: problem building geometry package, Ubuntu 14.04
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 11:29 PM, Robin Urselli <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> Hi Juan Pablo,
>> thanks for your answer. I tried your suggestion but octave comes out with
>> the very same error we already had installing it from the forge.
>> I spent a little time trying to understand the problem. When we installed
>> octave, we had to configure it with the -enable-openmp flag, otherwise it
>> didn't want to build.
>> GOMP_parallel_start is an openmp related symbol. I read that to make the
>> packages using openmp working, they should be compiled with the -fopenmp
>> flag. I tried to set it in the makefile of the geometry package, but I
>> found
>> in an old bug report that -f options are not supported by octave. Don't
>> know
>> if it's still the truth
>>
>> Here are two interesing posts about the argument. The first one is
>> explicitly about geometry and nurbs, which have the same problem
>>
>> http://www.marshut.com/iutwmv/build-with-openmp-by-default.html#iuuwkt
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.general/50101
>>
>> Robin
>>

>> Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 at 12:40 AM
>> From: "Juan Pablo Carbajal" <address@hidden>
>> To: "Robin Urselli" <address@hidden>
>> Cc: "Octave Help" <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Re: problem building geometry package, Ubuntu 14.04
>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Robin Urselli <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am having some trouble installing the geometry package in Octave 3.8.1
>>> under Linux Ubuntu 14.04.
>>> In addition to the warnings, I get the following error:

>>> warning: addpath: //home/robin/octave/geom2d: No such file or directory
>>> warning: addpath: //home/robin/octave/io: No such file or directory
>>> warning: addpath: //home/robin/octave/polygons2d: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> warning: addpath: //home/robin/octave/shape2d: No such file or directory
>>> warning: addpath: //home/robin/octave/octclip: No such file or directory
>>> warning: addpath: //home/robin/octave/graphs: No such file or directory
> [...]

Robin,

I hope it works on your real machine as well. I took the solution from
Mike Miller and Carlo in this post
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/mpi-h-vs-hdf5-h-td4662703.html

Just a small remark. Due to the way the mails in th emailing list are
stored (as in the link there) we prefer to do bottom-posting. Try to
answer messages at the bottom of the original one or between the
lines.

Thanks