Re: Generating package HTML for Octave Forge

From: c.
Subject: Re: Generating package HTML for Octave Forge
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 17:07:30 +0200

On 5 Jun 2014, at 15:19, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:58:49 +0200, Daniel Kraft wrote:
>> Does this look fine, or should I be doing something different?
>
> I looked at a few pages and they look correct to me. The missing style
> will be filled in when it is added to the Forge site.
>
>> I have two issues with the resulting HTML, though:
>>
>> 1) For functions with multiple signatures (for instance,
>> ls_solve_stationary [4]), the HTML looks very odd (with the second
>> signature intended).  It looks fine in Octave's help.  Is this expected
>> behaviour of generate_html, or is my Texinfo syntax wrong to produce
>> this kind of output?
>>
>>  [4] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/function/ls_solve_stationary.html
>
> I suspect this may be due to Texinfo 5. Are you able to run
> generate_html using Texinfo 4? I keep a copy of Texinfo 4.13 around and
> set Octave's makeinfo_program to point to it when building package HTML.
> I don't remember specifically which problems were due to Texinfo 5, but
> there are some.
>
>> 2) A lot of functions have demos, but with *none* of them the resulting
>> HTML includes a correct picture.  Is this a problem with my installation
>> of generate_html, or a bug in it?  It happens even if I add a trivial
>> demo like
>>
>>  x = linspace (-pi, pi, 100);
>>  plot (x, sin (x));
>
> And I think this is due to FLTK not being able to print non-visible
> figures. If you set graphics_toolkit to gnuplot for building package
> HTML docs you should get the correct demo plots.
>
> --
> mike

Please note that generate_html also currently creates a wrong navigation toolbar
on help pages which contains an "SVN" link pointing to
"https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code";

This should be changed to "http://octave.sourceforge.net/code.html"; and the
link name should be changed to "Code".

A patch to fix this would be very welcome.

c.