Dicom package on Mac OS X

From: Miloslav
Subject: Dicom package on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 01:59:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am new to Octave. I have also limited experience with programming and
compiling code, and I am learning that just now. I was trying to install the
Dicom package and I got stuck. This is what I have:

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.3 (Mavericks)
Xcode 5.1.1
Command line tools for OS X 10.9
CMake 2.8.12.2
Octave 3.8.0 (installed from a binary)
GDCM libraries 2.0.19 and 2.4.2 (compiled from source code and installed)
Dicom package 0.1.1

I installed Octave from the binary installer for OSX. It seems to work fine.
When I tried to install the Dicom package it was giving me errors. I figured
out that first I need to get the GDCM library installed. So, I downloaded
the source code for the newest version (2.4.2) and compiled and installed by
the following:

cmake -DGDCM_UILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON ../gdcm-2.4.2
sudo make install

It installed the library, but still no success with the Dicom package
installation. So I tried to install GDCM 2.0.19 in the same way. Again, it
seems to be installed, but the Dicom package installation would not proceed.

I'm trying to install the Dicom package in Octave GUI with the following:

>> pkg install dicom-0.1.1.tar.gz

The error I get is:

dicominfo.cpp:45:33: fatal error: gdcm-2.0/gdcmReader.h: No such file or
directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [dicominfo.o] Error 1
mkoctfile -c  -g dicominfo.cpp

pkg: error running `make' for the dicom package.
error: called from 'configure_make' in file
/usr/local/octave/3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/private/configure_make.m
near line 82, column 9
error: called from:
error:   /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/private/install.m
at line 199, column 5
error:   /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 394,
column 9

To my understanding, it is not able to locate the installed GDCM library.
Any ideas how to fix this? I would really like to use Octave to work with
Dicom data. Thanks!

Miloslav