Compiling Octave with ATLAS

From: David Parks
Subject: Compiling Octave with ATLAS
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:16:53 -0700

I'm compiling Octave after having built the ATLAS libraries for my system.

 - How do I get octave to use the ATLAS libraries?
 - How do I *verify* that octave is actually using the ATLAS libraries?

This build process for Octave didn't seem to do it:

        sudo apt-get build-dep octave
./configure --with-lapack=/usr/local/atlas/lib/liblapack.a --with-blas=/usr/local/atlas/libptcblas.a
        make install

I can build and install Octave that way, but when I try to do large matrix multiplication I see only 1 core being used (my reason for building with ATLAS, and also the only way I currently know to test that ATLAS either IS or ISN'T linked properly).

I've tried all varients of --with-lapack that I can think of (pointing to /usr/local/atlas, /usr/local/atlas/lib, etc.), the documentation doesn't provide any concrete examples.