Re: Troubleshooting segmentation Violation Octave MXE 3.8.0 Win7 32bit

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting segmentation Violation Octave MXE 3.8.0 Win7 32bit
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:28:10 -0700 (PDT)

ijourneaux wrote
> Philip
> I hope things are going well.

Sorry for responding late, I enjoyed a little holiday last week.

> I am still struggling with the segmentation fault that occurs when exiting
> octave. Using your tips, I have copied over the exe and dlls versions with
> symbols, in this case octave-gui.exe and liboctintep-2.dll.
>
> As I mentioned earlier in this thread this results in
> #0  Array
> <double>
> ::~Array (this=0x1ff22200, __in_chrg=
> <optimized out>
> )
>     at
> /mxe-octave/tmp-stable-octave/octave-3.8.1/liboctave/array/Array.h:243
> 243     in
> /mxe-octave/tmp-stable-octave/octave-3.8.1/liboctave/array/Array.h
>
> Does the fact that the error occurs in frame 9 hae meaning?
> The debugger can not locate the source for array.h. Do I need to copy the
> folders that have the include files so the debugger has access to them.

First off, I suppose this thread is becoming so technical that it may be
better to move it to the maintainers list.

I'm not sure if debugging a cross-compiled Octave will really work as
apparently expected on Mingw.
It may be that the debugger expects files to be in a location "comparable"
(in MSYS / Mingw terms) to when Octave was built (under e.g., Linux). I
think (but I'm shamelessly guessing here) you can track down those locations
using octave_config_info.exe; next thing is put the files in a directory
tree (relative to MSYS root) that to gdb looks like the original mxe build
tree.
Fact is, I never used gdb in such detail, let alone on Mingw/msys.

Sorry for not being able to help out very much here.

It would probably be easier with a native built mxe-octave (i.e. built under
mingw on windows); one day I hope to be able to do that but until some
months ago I always got stuck with it and I gave up.

Maybe if I have some more time later this month I'll try again.

Philip