Re: "checking for cholmod_start in -lcholmod... no"

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: "checking for cholmod_start in -lcholmod... no"
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 22:27:33 +0900 (JST)

--- On Sat, 2014/5/10, Electronnix wrote:

> I'm trying to compile octave 3.4.0 with as many features as possible in a
> Linux system (Debian Lenny).
>
> The only stumbling stone left is Cholesky.
> I'm using suitesparse 3.4.0 and the libcholmod.so from it.
> I found this previous thread:
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/CHOLMOD-library-not-found-td4650968.html
>
> and I see this issue was never solved or figured out.
>
> I have everything else working, except when running configure I get:

> checking suitesparse/cholmod.h usability... yes
> checking suitesparse/cholmod.h presence... yes
> checking for suitesparse/cholmod.h... yes
> checking for cholmod_start in -lcholmod... no
> configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD library not found.  This will result in some
> lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
>
> I can see the function choldmod_start is defined in cholmod_core.h and I
> don't know
> what else should be done for this "choldmod_start" to be found by
> ./configure
>
> Does anyone have any trick up up their sleeve that would persuade
> ./configure to see better?
>
> I already have in my system 2 versions of octave installed (from standard
> debian packages)
> but they are older and I want to build this version with all bells and
> whistles.
> In /usr/lib I have the following:
>
> ===========================
> libcholmod.so.1  -> link to libcholmod.so.1.2
> libcholmod.so.1.2
> libcholmod.so.3.1.0
> ===========================
>
> They don't interfere with my build, because I use the following configure
> command:
>
> and therefore I only use the headers and the libraries I got from
> suitesparse 3.4.0 I compiled.
>
> I compiled suitesparse successfully and I copied the headers to
> /usr/include/suitesparse
> and the libraries to /usr/lib/suitesparse.
> All other stuff is found (AMD, COLAMD, CCOLAMD, CXSPARSE, UMFPACK etc) and
> ok,
> but CHOLMOD is still stiff.
>
> If anyone knows anything about this cholmod_start issue, please give me a
> hint.
> For the sake of details, I paste below the configure status displayed at the
> end:

Did you compile cholmod with -DNPARTITION flag active in UFconfig/UFconfig.mk ?
If you do not use this option, you need the metis to compile cholmod.
(metis : http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/views/metis)

BTW, until some years ago, the license of the metis was not compatible to the
GPL V3.
(Personal use of the Metis was permitted but the distribution of binary of
Octave linking  with the metis was prohibited.)
Now the metis is distributed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
I do not know whether the distribution of octave binary linking the metis is
prohibited or not.

Another question:
Why are you building octave-3.4.0. It is very old.
I recommend you to  build the octave-3.8.1.
On this mailing list, there are many experts who use the Debian.

Regards

Tatsuro