Grid lines not visible in plot

From: Tyler Hall
Subject: Grid lines not visible in plot
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 21:02:29 -0700 (PDT)

I just installed Octave 3.6.4 under linuxmint 16.  I noticed that when I plotted data with the plot command, I could not see the grid lines in many of the graphs on my monitor.  I changed graphics toolkits with

   graphics_toolkit( 'gnuplot' );

and i could see all the grid lines.  i switched back to FLTK with

   graphics_toolkit( 'fltk' );

and the problem reappeared: many of the grid lines were not visible in my graphs.  This machine is dual boot so I ran the same version of Octave under Windows 8.1 using the MinGW package.  I had no problem with the grid lines, even when using the FLTK graphics toolkit.  FWIW, my monitor is an AOC E2251SWDN LED monitor with1920x1080 resolution and my graphics adapter is Intel HD4400.

After much experimentation, I discovered a solution.  I noticed the default linewidth was 0.5.  I changed it to 1 with

   set( gca, 'linewidth', 1 )

and I could see all the grid lines in all my plots.

I don't think this problem is a bug but I couldn't find it described in the archives so I'm posting it here in case anyone else runs into it.