Re: Need start up help

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Need start up help
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:00:38 +0900 (JST)

--- On Tue, 2014/4/29, Ilmar Luik  wrote:

> I am first time user of
>
> RFE.  1  Octave-Forge on Windows 7 professional 64 bit machine.
>
> REF.  2  GNU Octave  Beginner’s Guide by  Jesper Schmidt  Hansen published
> 2011
>

> CURRENT STATUS
>
> I am first time user  of REF. 1 Therefore  lease excuse my ignorance of not
> knowing how to get started.
>

> Somehow I got   REF 1  downloaded
>
> and attempt to get started  in accordance with the instructions on page  18
> of REF. 2

What version octave for windows did you install?

3.8.1 (MinGW) (http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/)

> First step advices      octave:1> cd C:
>
> Next                              octave:2>  cd “ Documents and Settings”
>
> Next                              octave:3>  mkdir  “GNU Octave
>
> Reponse                      ans = 0

mkdir  “GNU Octave
You forgot close the quotation.
mkdir  “GNU Octave"

However I do not recommend to manipulate the directory (folder) name of which
has white space for octave.

I recommend to use

mkdir "GNUOctave"
or
mkdir "GNU_Octave"
.

> This indicates that an error occurred
>

> Next I entered           Octave:4>  edit
>

> Response     Load library failed. Make  “Runtime Library setting of this
> project as  “Multi-threaded(/MT)”
>
>                           May cure his problem

I have not noticed this because I do not use edit command.

> I started all over and entered  the above recommend response into octave:2
>

> It responded   No such a file or directory.
>

> What would you recommend to do about it or what books should I buy.

Current I do not know good instruction book of octave for beginners.
First thing, what I recommend you to do is to read octave manual.
Octave-3.8.1 for windows ships for html and pdf style.
You can access them form the Start menu.

> The intended use for the Octave program is to support mathematics that is
> required for analyzing radar systems.
>
> Typically comprised of plotting  2 and 3 dimensional  equations containing
> real and imaginary numbers.

Good luck!

Tatsuro

# This post is not suitable for maintainers list so that I made reply to help
list.