Re: function name autocompletion, parameter hint or Intelli-sense featur

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: function name autocompletion, parameter hint or Intelli-sense feature in GUI Octave editor
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:31:21 -0400

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 13:55:05 -0700, Yu Liu wrote:
>     I was searching around for ways to enable function name autocompletion
> and parameter hint (similar to intellisense feature) for writing Octave
> scripts. Is there a way to enable it in the GUI Octave (3.8.x) editor? I
> understand that there is already autocompletion in the editor, but don't
> know if it "knows" the names of octave functions as well as required
> parameters. Thanks in advance for any advise!

In short, no.

The command window will do function name completion and file name
completion using the Tab key (standard readline behavior, same as in a
terminal). The editor will do completion on known keywords (if, else,
function, etc) and optionally on words that are already in the file
you are editing. Both of these types of completion can be toggled in
the settings.

There is no editor completion on all known function names, nor on
parameter lists of known functions. There is an open bug report
requesting function name completion in the editor, see
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41371.

The GUI is an experimental new feature in the 3.8 release, please
consider helping to improve it for 4.0 by joining the maintainers
mailing list or participating on the bug tracker (even submitting
feature request bugs if you want).

--
mike