Re: 'less' not working

From: mmesser314
Subject: Re: 'less' not working
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

I have been having the same problems as you. I am not sure if they are two
separate problems or not.

I have 64 bit Windows 7. On 3/5/14, I installed the latest Octave 3.6.4 with
the CLI interface. Today I installed the latest Octave 3.6.4 with the GUI.

The CLI version gives me this when I type help load
   WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
   - (Press RETURN)
When I press return, help is listed. f, b, and q work.

help version produces less a shorter description. Less is not needed. The
warning does not appear.

The GUI version does not have this problem. It gives me all the help in one
burst, even for help load.

I can confirm the problem is present in the GUI version, and Less is the
cause, by navigating to Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\mingw\msys\1.0 and double
clicking msys.bat.
At the msys $ prompt, I type
   cat /msys.bat
The file is listed.

At the $ prompt, I type
   cat /msys.bat | less
I get the warning.

I get a second problem in both versions by typing doc at the Octave >
prompt.
   info: Terminal type `dumb' is not smart enough to run Info.
This issue is the same as  this post
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/terminal-type-dumb-td3951306.html>  ,
but it doesn't help.

>From  this <http://sourceforge.net/p/gnuwin32/mailman/message/2479716/>  ,
this <http://sourceforge.net/p/gnuwin32/bugs/227/>  , and  this
<http://mingw.5.n7.nabble.com/Does-the-termcap-library-work-Where-is-lt-termios-h-gt-td20733.html>

, I know that the problem is caused by the MSYS shell, and not directly by
Octave.
The fix is supposed to be to configure the termcap database by setting an
environmental variable
   TERM=VT100
This causes the database to configure an ancient terminal to be a bit less
of a dinosaur. It should now understand some control characters. It did not
help.
I also tried TERM=ANSI and TERM=XTERM. I am not sure that XTERM is a valid
setting, but Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\mingw\msys\1.0\share\vim\vimrc seems to
reference this value. This did not help either.

I can work around the doc problem by navigating to
Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2/doc/octave/html/octave.html/index.html and opening this
in a browser. But it would be nice if the doc command worked.