Re: utf8 does not appear to work for function documentation strings gene

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: utf8 does not appear to work for function documentation strings generated with texinfo
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

Alan W. Irwin wrote
> Thanks for your reply to my question.  However, as I stated in my OP,
> I had tried some experiments with @documentencoding UTF-8, but could
> not get it to work.  To be specific, here is one example that does not
> work here with ocatve-3.6.2.

Sorry, I was too fast in reading the OP :-)

Tested the same under 3.8.1-GUI; same behaviour. Yet it was started as
env LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 octave --force-gui

I ran it under the debugger. help.m calls __makeinfo__.m. At line 126, we
have:
 fwrite (fid, text);

With your example, the end of text contains unicode characters; yet in the
generated file the unicode chars are garbled. This file is then passed to
the external program 'makeinfo', which should respect the @documentencoding
directive. But garbled in results in garbled out.

I suppose the issue lies in fwrite implementation. Could you please report
it as a bug on Savannah ?

Regards

Pascal