Re: Cygwin Command Line Strangeness

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: Cygwin Command Line Strangeness
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 00:17:21 +0100

On 18/03/2014 23:47, Damian Harty wrote:
have you looked where was created the file ?

Yes. It's some arbitrary place. Like it is on my machine. The point is that it's "here" -
where the command is run. I know it's "here" because the echo command to create the file
is run immediately prior to the call to Octave. So where it is doesn't actually matter. It's a
short path, too - not off the end of some 128 character limit.

probably the HOME or PATH is not defined as you think.

This doesn't strike me as a path thing. I tried "octave.exe ./test_me" to be
sure anyway, no change.

My machine has $HOME (in the Cygwin sense) set to the same place as a windows
shell prompt starts. Which, by the way, is the same place Octave looks on his
machine for the file. Which *isn't* where we are.

The question for me is why does octave look somewhere other than "here" for the file?
Why, when Octave is invoked, does it look "somewhere else" for a command file it's asked
to execute?

eventually the cygwin shell enviroment is not correctly passed
to the not-cygwin octave.

try

/cygdrive/c/Octave/Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2/bin/octave.exe
 -q  $(cygpath -wa test_me.m)

In this way you should pass the absolute location
of the file

I've never known any operating system do this, and I've been around the block a
bit. I'm feeling stumped and I'm sure it's annoyingly trivial!

Damian

dummy question : why you are not using the cygwin octave binary ?