Cygwin Command Line Strangeness

From: Damian Harty
Subject: Cygwin Command Line Strangeness
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 18:00:59 +0000

O Learned Denizens,

1) My machine:

Windows 7 64 Bit, Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2_20130408.

Using Cygwin NT-6.1-WOW64, I can do the following:

    echo 'printf ("    Octave: Hello, World!\n")'  > test_me.m
    /cygdrive/c/Octave/Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2/bin/octave.exe -q test_me.m 2>
test_me.log

Hopefully you can see it makes a little file called "test_me" and dutifully
runs it to produce a "hello world" message.

No problem.

2) Not my machine:

Windows 7 64 Bit, Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2, Cygwin_NT-6.1.

Same deal, except that when I try to run octave as above, it declares the
test_me.m doesn't exist:

C:\Users\gaarama\test_me.m could not be found

That's entirely accurate. The file isn't there. When I call Octave from the
command line, I expect any file not given an absolute path to be searched for
in the local directory - which it plainly is on my machine. Any suggestions as
to why it might work as advertised on my machine but not his?

Could there be some flag I set when I first installed Octave on my machine
(less than a year ago) that I've forgotten? Or something?

I'm dreading the idea that it's a Cygwin setup issue; I had a very bad
experience on their mailing list, unlike you lovely chaps...

Damian

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this email communication is
confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly
error, please notify us immediately by return email and destroy all copies of
this communication, including all attachments.