Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 14:56:48 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

Yes, John, I know how to write code in several programming languages.

Still, if I read a _text_ message written in _human_ language, I want to get
the needed info without any program.

Working for several companies in the industry I had to prepare release notes
explicitly stating what has changed and for what reason.

A lot of things in the human world is described by
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_%28comic_strip%29#.22We_have_met_the_enemy_and_he_is_us..22
 - I mean a typical for FOSS zealots recommendation to read the code - the
recommendation being issued to non-technical users. To run 'hg' is the same
kind of recommendation.

And, by the way,

hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug
#\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u

was _not_ present in the release note. Which yet another time proves my point
that the release note is useless other than the fact that 3.8.0 was replaced
with 3.8.1.

Another issue - I do not use 'hg' revision/version control system and thus do
not have it installed. So, in order to obtain a meaningful release info I first
need to install a revision/version control system ?

Regards,
  Sergei.