Re: greek characters with fltk graphical toolkit from octave

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: greek characters with fltk graphical toolkit from octave
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 13:49:20 -0600

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mar 03, 2014, at 11:27 AM, "Dmitri A. Sergatskov" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Philippe Piot <address@hidden> wrote:
Ben: Thank you. Yes: mac OS10.8 ;-)...

All: Does anybody know if octave 3.8.x is available under macport? I
checked and they still seems to be with 3.6.4.

On 3.8.0 on linux
xlabel('t (\mu s)')

works on screen, but does not work
when you print it to a file
(print("greek.png"))

Dmitri.

Neither Macports or Fink have updated their Octave builds to 3.8.x yet.  I assume this will happen, but don't know when.

Dmitri is correct that printing of Greek letters is not yet supported by the FLTK graphics toolkit (even under 3.8.x).  This is related to a suggested project for Google's Summer of Code.

Ben

But if you care only for the on-screen appearance,  unicode will work fine
(at least on 3.8.0 -- I do not have 3.6.4 around anymore ...):

octave:1> graphics_toolkit fltk
octave:2> plot(randn(3))
octave:3> xlabel("χρόνος")
octave:4> ylabel("θερμοκρασία")