Kernel panic on plot -- insufficient GL support

From: mpender
Subject: Kernel panic on plot -- insufficient GL support
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:39:22 -0800 (PST)

I started getting a strange error message today when I try to do a simple
plot in Octave 3.8.0 under Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS:

octave:2> plot (tr)
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Insufficient GL support
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Insufficient GL support
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I did search for previous indications of this problem, and found something
that *may* be related in a discussion about the release candidate when
running in the GUI mode, but the thread seems to indicate the attempts to
debug it were inconclusive:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/problem-with-3-8-release-candidate-1-td4659987.html#a4659998

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide that
would be useful, but I am running in command line mode, not the GUI.

Thanks, Mike