Building fem-fenics on Ubuntu

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Building fem-fenics on Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:29:35 +0100

Hi!

I'm trying to build & install fem-fenics on Ubuntu.  I've built Octave
from hg trunk fine, and checked out the most recent version of the
fem-fenics sources at sourceforge.  I've also installed libdolfin1.3-dev
through the Ubuntu package repository provided by the FEniCS project at [1].

  [1] http://fenicsproject.org/download/ubuntu_details.html

However, when I try to ./configure fem-fenics, it tells me that no
usable dolfin.h is found (even though /usr/include/dolfin.h is present).
 If I remove the AC_CHECK_HEADER check in configure.ac (just as an
experiment), I get the following:

mkoctfile  -c Mesh.cc  -o Mesh.o -I.
In file included from
/usr/include/dolfin/multistage/dolfin_multistage.h:8:0,
                 from /usr/include/dolfin.h:21,
                 from mesh.h:21,
                 from Mesh.cc:18:
/usr/include/dolfin/multistage/PointIntegralSolver.h:25:23: fatal error:
Eigen/Dense: No such file or directory

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  Honestly it looks more like a
problem with dolfin/FEniCS (or my installation thereof in Ubuntu) than a
bug in fem-fenics, but maybe someone here still knows how to make it
work.  I would really love to experiment with fem-fenics in Octave!

Any suggestions?  If someone has fem-fenics working in Ubuntu, how did
you do it?  It is probably just a stupid mistake I made during some part
of the installation.

Yours,
Daniel

--