Re: Grumble about Fedora not releasing Octave-3.8 for Fedora 20

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Grumble about Fedora not releasing Octave-3.8 for Fedora 20
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:56:59 +0100

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 05:00:25PM +1100, Terry Duell wrote:
> I now see Fedora bug reports about octave not being updated in
> Fedora 20, and they have been closed, 'won't fix', saying that
> octave-3.8 is too much of a change to do as an update for Fedora 20.
> Perhaps I am missing something, but it didn't seem too much trouble
> to get it built and working here.

It is a huge change - you have to rebuilt every single package that is
using Octave. I don't know about Fedora, but it took several weeks in
Debian to get everything sorted and we have just started the transition.
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianOctaveGroup/Octave3.8Transition
Several issues have been identified in the process of packaging 3.8.0
which should be fixed in 3.8.1.

> Fedora is a fairly widely used system, and Fedora 21 won't be out
> for months, possibly August, and I reckon that's too long to wait
> for an official release of Octave-3.8 for Fedora users.

I am reasonably sure that the Fedora packagers will not mind a helping
hand. I am equally sure that they have their hands full already with the
current workload. In other words, if you want to see something done,
consider helping them out.

        Thomas