Octave 3.8.0 imread and imwrite

From: ijourneaux
Subject: Octave 3.8.0 imread and imwrite
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:22:51 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to do something very simple and it is not working the way I would
expect. the file input.jpg is a an 8bit grayscale image. If I read it in
with imread the array ends up as a uint8 array

                AID=imread("input.jpg");
                imwrite(AID, "test.bmp");
                imwrite(AID, "test.jpg");

When I write it out, test.bmp is a 24bit image and has a red tinge to it.
The test.jpg is an 8bit image bit it is not correct as the white background
in the image becomes a dark gray.

This has worked forever with 3.2.4 and 3.6.4.

What am I doing wrong?