Re: How to re-install an uninstalled package?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: How to re-install an uninstalled package?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 01:23:50 -0800 (PST)

sabuncu wrote

> Philip Nienhuis wrote
>> Probably the easiest way is to simply re-install
>> Octave-3.6.4-vs2010-setup.exe right over the existing installation.
> That may be the best solution, because it seems support for the Windows
> ecosystem is not yet there.  I was hoping to learn if there was in fact a
> solution.

Well reinstalling Octave isn't such a big deal. 2 minutes, that's all.

The issue is that for the MSVC Windows builds you need to install VisualC++
Express separately (~2.2 GB of mostly M$ junk) and set it up yourself so
that Octave can find it. Not hard really, details are in the README or on
the Octave-Forge site where you downloaded the Octave binary. If you dare,
you could give it a try; then you can also update other OF packages.

The MinGW Windows builds all have a complete build chain included, so
reinstalling a package there is much easier.

(Why no VC++ in the MSVC builds? licensing issues. VC++ is proprietary
stuff, MinGW isn't. In addition it is really hard to single out just those
VC++ components needed to build OF packages out of that 2.2 GB heap of crap.
I once gave it a try but had to give up very soon.
All of which doesn't imply that I find the VC++ compilers sensu stricto so
bad, au contraire. Pity that is isn't free SW)

Philip