Re: Launching octave gui

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Launching octave gui
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:32:27 -0500

On Jan 7, 2014, at 11:49 PM, Marco Zuliani <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi everybody,I am running OS X Mavericks (ProductName: Mac OS X,
> ProductVersion:       10.9.1 BuildVersion:    13B42)I installed first XQuartz
> and
> then Octave using brew:brew update && brew upgradebrew tap
> homebrew/sciencebrew install fortranbrew install octaveThe installation went
> fine but now, when I try to launch the GUI nothing
> happens:address@hidden ~]$ octave --force-guiGNU Octave, version
> 3.8.0Copyright (C) 2013 John W. Eaton and others.This is free software; see
> the source code for copying conditions.There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not
> even for MERCHANTABILITY orFITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details,
> type 'warranty'.Octave was configured for
> "x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0".Additional information about Octave is available
> at http://www.octave.org.Please contribute if you find this software
> useful.For more information, visit
> http://www.octave.org/get-involved.htmlRead http://www.octave.org/bugs.html
> to learn how to submit bug reports.For information about changes from
> previous versions, type 'news'.octave:1>Note that the syslog does not show
> anything abnormal. Can somebody help me in figuring out how to launch Octave
> with the GUI?Many thanks!

I'd guess  that there is one or more dependencies that haven't been satisfied.
The most likely is Qt4.  I don't use Homebrew (I use Macports), but something
like the command below should work.

        brew install qt4

Then you can try building Octave again.  If you still have problems, edit
config.log and look for the part below.

==== Begin: snippet from config.log ====
Octave is now configured for x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0

  Source directory:            .
  Installation prefix:         /opt/octave/4.1
  C compiler:                  /opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.7   -Wall -W -Wshadow
-Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -pipe -O2 -m64 -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread
  C++ compiler:                /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.7   -Wall -W -Wshadow
-Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align
-Wcast-qual -pipe -O2 -m64 -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread
  Fortran compiler:            /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.7 -pipe -O2 -m64
  Fortran libraries:            -L/opt/local/lib
-L/opt/local/lib/gcc47/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin13/4.7.3
-L/opt/local/lib/gcc47/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin13/4.7.3/../../.. -lgfortran
-lquadmath -lm
  Lex libraries:
  LIBS:                        -lm

  AMD CPPFLAGS:
  AMD LDFLAGS:
  AMD libraries:               -lamd
  ARPACK CPPFLAGS:
  ARPACK LDFLAGS:
  ARPACK libraries:            -larpack
  BLAS libraries:              -lcblas -lf77blas -latlas -lgfortran
  CAMD CPPFLAGS:
  CAMD LDFLAGS:
  CAMD libraries:              -lcamd
  CARBON libraries:            -Wl,-framework -Wl,Carbon
  CCOLAMD CPPFLAGS:
  CCOLAMD LDFLAGS:
  CCOLAMD libraries:           -lccolamd
  CHOLMOD CPPFLAGS:
  CHOLMOD LDFLAGS:
  CHOLMOD libraries:           -lcholmod
  COLAMD CPPFLAGS:
  COLAMD LDFLAGS:
  COLAMD libraries:            -lcolamd
  CURL CPPFLAGS:
  CURL LDFLAGS:
  CURL libraries:              -lcurl
  CXSPARSE CPPFLAGS:
  CXSPARSE LDFLAGS:
  CXSPARSE libraries:          -lcxsparse
  DL libraries:                -ldl
  FFTW3 CPPFLAGS:
  FFTW3 LDFLAGS:
  FFTW3 libraries:             -lfftw3_threads -lfftw3
  FFTW3F CPPFLAGS:
  FFTW3F LDFLAGS:
  FFTW3F libraries:            -lfftw3f_threads -lfftw3f
  fontconfig CFLAGS:           -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/freetype2
  fontconfig libraries:        -L/opt/local/lib -lfontconfig -lfreetype
  FreeType2 CFLAGS:            -I/opt/local/include/freetype2
  FreeType2 libraries:         -L/opt/local/lib -lfreetype
  GLPK CPPFLAGS:
  GLPK LDFLAGS:
  GLPK libraries:              -lglpk
  graphics CFLAGS:             -I/opt/local/include -pipe -Os
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT
  graphics libraries:          -L/opt/local/lib
-Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -lfltk_gl -framework AGL -framework OpenGL
-framework ApplicationServices -lfltk -lpthread -framework Cocoa
  HDF5 CPPFLAGS:
  HDF5 LDFLAGS:
  HDF5 libraries:              -lhdf5
  Java home:
  Java JVM path:
  Java CPPFLAGS:
  Java libraries:
  LAPACK libraries:            -llapack -latlas -lgfortran
  LLVM CPPFLAGS:
  LLVM LDFLAGS:
  LLVM libraries:
  Magick++ CPPFLAGS:           -I/opt/local/include/GraphicsMagick
  Magick++ LDFLAGS:            -L/opt/local/lib
  Magick++ libraries:          -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick
  OPENGL libraries:            -L/opt/local/lib -lfontconfig -lfreetype
-Wl,-framework -Wl,OpenGL
  PCRE CPPFLAGS:               -I/opt/local/include
  PCRE libraries:              -L/opt/local/lib -lpcre
  PTHREAD flags:               -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread
  PTHREAD libraries:
  QHULL CPPFLAGS:
  QHULL LDFLAGS:
  QHULL libraries:             -lqhull
  QRUPDATE CPPFLAGS:
  QRUPDATE LDFLAGS:
  QRUPDATE libraries:          -lqrupdate
  Qt CPPFLAGS:                 -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/QtGui
-I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/QtNetwork -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/QtCore
  Qt LDFLAGS:                  -L/opt/local/lib
  Qt libraries:                -lQtGui -lQtNetwork -lQtCore  -lqscintilla2
  READLINE libraries:          -lreadline
  TERM libraries:              -lncurses
  UMFPACK CPPFLAGS:
  UMFPACK LDFLAGS:
  UMFPACK libraries:           -lumfpack -lsuitesparseconfig
  X11 include flags:
  X11 libraries:
  Z CPPFLAGS:
  Z LDFLAGS:
  Z libraries:                 -lz

  Default pager:               less
  gnuplot:                     gnuplot

  Build Octave GUI:                   yes
  JIT compiler for loops:             no
  Build Java interface:               no
  Do internal array bounds checking:  no
  Use octave_allocator:               no
  Build static libraries:             no
  Build shared libraries:             yes
  Dynamic Linking:                    yes (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   yes
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     no
==== End: snippet from config.log ====

The important lines to look for are

  Qt CPPFLAGS:                 -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/QtGui
-I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/QtNetwork -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/QtCore
  Qt LDFLAGS:                  -L/opt/local/lib
  Qt libraries:                -lQtGui -lQtNetwork -lQtCore  -lqscintilla2

and

  Build Octave GUI:                   yes

Ben