Re: Install on OSX Maverics

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: Install on OSX Maverics
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:53:39 -0600

On Feb 18, 2014, at 10:43 PM, Louis Ciotti <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to install octave on my new macbook using macports.  It fails
> with the following errors:
>
> Error: org.macports.configure for port atlas returned: Atlas could not detect
> any fortran compiler. If you really don’t need the fortran interface to be
> built, please use the +nofortran option, else install a fortran compiler
> (e.g. gcc4X) before building Atlas.
> Error: Failed to install atlas
> Please see the log file for port atlas for details:
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_math_atlas/atlas/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: atlas bison epstool
> ghostscript jbig2dec libpaper fftw-3 fftw-3-single flex gawk readline gcc48
> glpk gnuplot aquaterm lua wxWidgets-3.0 wxWidgets_select gperf grep gsed
> hdf5-18 less pstoedit ImageMagick djvulibre plotutils qhull qrupdate texinfo
> texlive-latex texlive-basic texlive-bin harfbuzz-icu icu libzzip t1lib
> texlive-common xorg-libXp xorg-printproto transfig
> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
> Error: Processing of port octave failed
>
> I installed GCC4.9 and GFortran4.9 from this site http://hpc.sourceforge.net/
> still have the same error.

Did you install any version of gcc using MacPorts?

If you installed gcc-4.9 from hpc, it will likely be installed in /usr/local

This is not a good idea when using MacPorts.

In my case I have the following atlas variant:

$ port -v installed atlas
  atlas @3.10.1_5+gcc47 (active) platform='darwin 13' archs=‘x86_64'

In other words you have to specify which flavor of gcc you want to use.

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula