Re: continuation?

From: fork
Subject: Re: continuation?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:21:01 +0000 (UTC)

Vic Norton <vic <at> norton.name> writes:

> Ah hah! Thanks guys!
>    octave> x = [1 2 3 ...
>    > 4 5 6]
> looks much better!
>
> I guess I'll just have to go through a lot of my code replacing
> backspace continuations.

Deprecating the backslash seems like a bad design choice to me.  The
ellipses from Matlab are cute, but stupid and hard to parse, and the
backslash is better and conforms to many Unix languages.

Same with "#" (good) versus "%" (silly) for comments

I would add a warning when the backslash is encountered, but keep it in the
language indefinitely, just in case any maintainers are listening.