Re: Inquiry Into Octave

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Inquiry Into Octave
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:19:39 -0500

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Brandon Morrison <address@hidden> wrote:
To Whom It May Concern,

     MATLAB is obviously well used in industry.  I would rather use
free, open-source versions; however, a good amount of the arguments do
not seem compatible with MATLAB.  Also, lots of the IDE programs for
Octave either seem to be stalled or dead.  Having said this, is there an
active effort to better reproduce the syntax of MATLAB in Octave and
perhaps bundle it in an IDE?  I ask this because it almost seems like a
waste of time to learn Octave if the vast majority of researchers and
institutions use MATLAB.  I should then learn MATLAB and ignore Octave,
or so this appears.  Furthermore, reproduction of the syntax would
better enable people to convert to Octave in the future, i.e. no
learning curve.  I appreciate your time.

-Brandon Morrison

Since Octave developers generally consider non-compatibility with Matlab to be a bug (with a few specific, and well documented exceptions), where do you see non-compatible syntax?

Development of a GUI/IDE is a significant undertaking, but is now showing excellent progress. The latest release (3.8.0) has a full gui built in.

There are certain cases where a user will require Matlab (specific toolboxes the most likely reason, where the Octave equivalent packages may be lagging). Where I work, I've been able to convince many users to try Octave where they just need general numerical algorithm support, file i/o, data postprocessing, etc. Places where a full seat of Matlab+toolboxes isn't justified, because they can do the same thing, with little to no syntax change.

I guess it would be useful to know what specific issues (other than the GUI/IDE) you have with Octave compatibility.

NickJ