Plotly: Online graphing for Octave and new TOS

From: Matt Sundquist
Subject: Plotly: Online graphing for Octave and new TOS
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:36:46 -0800

Dear all,

My name is Matt, and I'm a co-founder at Plotly. We have a MATLAB API for online, publication-quality plotting that works with Octave (on GitHub here).

I wanted to follow-up on an earlier thread. Thanks to discussion from this group, we changed our plans. So, first, thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Our terms are now: you retain the rights to your content, public plotting is free, and you control whether your graphs are public or private.

Hosting happens on Plotly, where we're dreaming of building a GitHub for data and graphs. We just shipped profiles (here is a fun one) and are working on a feed.

Other features:
  • Make publication-quality, online plots with a GUI and code.
  • Fits, error bars, stats, and functions.
  • Embed interactive graphs in an iframe (Washington Post example), or download and export.
  • Collaborative, so you can edit with others, comment on your graphs, and save revision history.
  • Free for public use, you control sharing, and you own your data (like GitHub).
  • Plans here, TOU here.
  • Generate plots in IPython Notebooks (Plotly gallery) (see here for more on the Python-MATLAB bridge).
Here are two posts with Plotly walk-throughs and graphs: Undocumented MATLAB, MATLAB tips.

We would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, feedback, and guidance. As an early startup, your feedback and advice goes a long way for us.

All my best,
Matt