"unable to start subprocess"

From: Kristoffer Walker
Subject: "unable to start subprocess"
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:50:05 -0800

Folks,

My apologies if this is getting posted twice. I wasn't a member when I first tried posting, but have since changed this.

I have a shell script that has a loop in it. Each iteration of the loop creates a temporary Octave script, then echos this script to an Octave shell. I run this shell script in two separate terminal windows. After some time of running fine, one or both windows (I don't remember if it was both) report this error:

error: unable to start subprocess for '/bin/date'
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.3/m/miscellaneous/unix.m at line 38,
column 21

I am trying to understand the conditions that may cause execution of
unix.m to fail.  There is 96 GB RAM on this large machine, and the
specific job Octave is being asked to perform is no where near coming
close to requiring that much RAM or a heavy amount of CPU power.
However, the machine is a virtual machine, and there have been some odd
observations lately with some binary system programs just hanging
indefinitely for mysterious reasons.  Any insights into what could be
causing this?  Is unix.m thread safe?

Thanks,
Kris

--