Error: default graphics toolkit 'gnuplot' is not available

From: Crooks, Cynthia J
Subject: Error: default graphics toolkit 'gnuplot' is not available
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:07:42 -0000

I have a user that needs to use octave on a “Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga)” machine.  The octave distributed with this OS release is too old (3.0.5)  for his needs.  He would like to have a statically linked copy because he needs to use this for a class he is going to teach in the UK on machines we don’t have admin rights.

I have compiled octave 3.8.0.  It was configured with the following parameters:

./configure --prefix=/hpc/tstapps/src/octave/octave-3.8.0/build --disable-dl --disable-shl \

     --disable-shared --disable-dynamic --disable-docs LDFLAGS=-static

The “make” command completed successfully.  The “make check” had several failures with this error:

default graphics toolkit 'gnuplot' is not available!

I do have gnuplot installed on the system.  So I do not understand the error.  I have researched similar problems on the web, but I don’t seem to be able to find anything that looks like my issue.

I have logs for the “configure”, “make” and “make check”, as well as the test/fntests.log.  Let me know what you need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Cindy