Re: Error: default graphics toolkit 'gnuplot' is not available!

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Error: default graphics toolkit 'gnuplot' is not available!
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:57:09 -0500

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 14:12:20 -0000, Crooks, Cynthia J wrote:
> I have a user that needs to use octave on a “Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
> release 5.4 (Tikanga)” machine.  The octave distributed with this OS release
> is too old (3.0.5)  for his needs.  He would like to have a statically
> linked copy because he needs to use this for a class he is going to teach in
> the UK on machines we don’t have admin rights.
>
> I have compiled octave 3.8.0.  It was configured with the following
> parameters:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/hpc/tstapps/src/octave/octave-3.8.0/build --disable-dl
> --disable-shl \
>
>      --disable-shared --disable-dynamic --disable-docs LDFLAGS=-static
>
> The “make” command completed successfully.  The “make check” had several
> failures with this error:
>
> default graphics toolkit 'gnuplot' is not available!
>
> I do have gnuplot installed on the system.  So I do not understand the
> error.  I have researched similar problems on the web, but I don’t seem to
> be able to find anything that looks like my issue.
>
> I have logs for the “configure”, “make” and “make check”, as well as the
> test/fntests.log.  Let me know what you need.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Hi, unfortunately I think the error you are seeing is due to disabling
the shared loading feature of Octave. I'm honestly not sure if the
functions under libinterp/dldfcn are supposed to work with a static
build or not. The __init_gnuplot__ function is one such function.
Whether it's supposed to work or not, it is definitely a less-used way
to build Octave.

I have also built Octave 3.8.0 on a RHEL 5.2 system for which I have
no admin privileges and building statically is not really required to
do so. Someone else may have better advice if you really need to do a
static build.

Also please note that the version of gnuplot that is shipped with RHEL
5.x (4.0 patchlevel 0) is too old to work with features that Octave
3.6.x and 3.8.0 make use of, so you'll have to build and make
available a newer version of gnuplot as well.

--
mike