Re: pkg install -forge [library-X-X]

From: John Hayes
Subject: Re: pkg install -forge [library-X-X]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:11:03 +0100

Le 8 janv. 2014 à 22:59, Juan Pablo Carbajal a écrit :

>> Presumably, that’s the correct image version to install for 3.6.4 octave but
>> that doesn’t seem to work either (and I’d still presumably have to
>> import/install each dependency manually)?
> Yes, that the status as of now. We are working on it but development
> is slow. check the new pkg.m function if you want to understand what
> we are doing
> https://bitbucket.org/carandraug/octave/src/d670ed4e5ae64541056dec352af0901270a381c9/scripts/pkg/pkg.m
>
>> I guess I’m wondering: is the -forge flag supposed to only work with the
>> most up-to-date octave and other packages on Octave Forge? Does that mean
>> the other packages in the directory here
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Forge%20Packages/Individual%20Package%20Releases/)
>>  are just fallback for cases like mine that need/want to manually install
>> older packages?
>
> Yes, that is the case and for me it sounds like a reasonable behavior.
Thanks Juan and Philip for the helpful responses regarding the expectations of
how -forge and pkg should work.

I went through and was able to mostly install the minimum dependencies for
image-2.0.0 on Octave-3.6.4 on OS X 10.6.8, but ended up running into some
build errors on a couple of the packages a couple deep from the image one. As a
consequence, I’m now emphasizing my efforts on the ‘state-of-the-art’ since
that’s what the community is likely doing as well, and I’ve gone back to trying
3.8.0. This does build for me successfully, but I’ve got a new set of problems
with building the packages that I’ll post a separate thread(s) about once the
problems are clearer to me. :)

Thanks again though!