Re: io-package, Octave 3.8

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: io-package, Octave 3.8
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:51:57 +0100

Please include the help-octaveML in your questions.

Other people with similar issues can benefit from the discussion as well.

Read on:
Joakim Woll wrote:
Hi Philip,

I recently installed Octave 3.8 to use it as a substitute to
Matlab. Since my object is to evaluate numerical data gathered
from excel documents I installed the io-package, which I seemed
to manage, see attached file.

But I can't use the function for reading numerical data from the
excel spreadsheets (xlsread, etc.). Isn't the ii-package supporting
Octave 3.8 yet?

I'm running Octave 3.8 on a Macbook pro with OS X 10.9.1.

See here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41155

The actual issue is that building Octave with Java support still doesn't work on Mac OSX (Java is still required for .xls/.xlsx write support). IIRC last summer or fall P. Dupuis managed to get an older Octave version on Mac OSX to work with Java (the OF Java package, so I think it should be possible to get Java support in the OSX binaries. But I can imagine (don't know) that the Octave-on-Mac developers have other priorities at the moment.

W/o Java, you're stuck at reading only ("xlsread") .xlsx (Excel 2007 and up) (plus .ods and .gnumeric). For .xls (Excel 97-2003) there's no other direct read option yet (other than convert to e.g., .csv).

Note that LibreOffice /OpenOffice.org on Mac OSX should be able to convert .xls to .xlsx.

BTW good to know (for me) that installing the io package works OK on Mac OSX.

Philip