Managing measurement metadata

From: CdeMills
Subject: Managing measurement metadata
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:24:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I do a lot of data acquistions followed by post-processing in Octave. In
order to ease data management, I would like to share experience about best
practices for helping finding the link between data and real world
parameter.

To give a short example: I have 8 sensors (thermocouples), then some device
transforming the thermocouple voltage into a temperature. Each reading may
thus be characterised by
- the sensor
- the converter
- its timestamp
- a short description of where the sensor is, to which device it is
attached, the purpose of the experiment, and so on.

Are there good practices to store and retrieve those metadata  in Octave ?
How to link efficiently (i.e. with a minimum redundancy) specific reading to
its full context ?

Regards

Pascal