pkg install -forge [library-X-X]

From: John Hayes
Subject: pkg install -forge [library-X-X]
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 20:58:39 +0100

Hi all,

I’m sorry if I’m missing how to do this and it’s perhaps very simple, but I was
wondering if there is a way to specify the specific version of an Octave-Forge
package and draw in its’ respective dependencies (automagically) or even
install a particular version of a single package by version number assuming the
previous dependencies have been satisfied.

I’d prefer not to use Octave 3.8.0 routinely quite yet (I hope to debug the
problems I’m having with it in more detail later), while when I do something
like this in Octave-3.6.4 I get the below:

> octave:1> pkg install -forge image
> error: the following dependencies where unsatisfied:
>    image needs octave >= 3.8.0
>  image needs signal >= 1.2.0
>  image needs general >= 1.3.0
I’m using the following webpage as reference, but maybe there’s something I’m
missing in the normal use-cases:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Installing-and-Removing-Packages.html

Based on the above dependencies, I was expecting/hoping the following might
work:
> octave:1> pkg install -forge image-2.0.0

Presumably, that’s the correct image version to install for 3.6.4 octave but
that doesn’t seem to work either (and I’d still presumably have to
import/install each dependency manually)?

I guess I’m wondering: is the -forge flag supposed to only work with the most
up-to-date octave and other packages on Octave Forge? Does that mean the other
packages in the directory here
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Forge%20Packages/Individual%20Package%20Releases/)
 are just fallback for cases like mine that need/want to manually install older
packages?

Sorry for my confusion. Thanks for any and all feedback, and best regards,

John