Re: Compile load-hdf.cc function

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Compile load-hdf.cc function
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 17:27:03 -0500

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:01:39 -0800, Krikouille wrote:
> I am running Octave version 3.6.4 with Debian (Debian 3.10.11-1 (2013-09-10)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux). Now, I am trying to run a Matlab script where HDF
> meteorological files are used. I am aware of Octave function ( 'load -hdf5'
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/How-to-read-HDF-data-td3298990.html>  )
> that should read such files, however, it does not work properly in my case.
> I get the following errors (I attached the file 05.02.hdf to this mail:
> 05.02.hdf <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4660623/05.02.hdf>  ):
>
> [...]

Hi Chris, this is probably to be expected, my understanding is that
the intent of "load -hdf5" is to support files that were created by
Matlab's save command (with the -v7.3 option), not any arbitrary HDF
file.

> Looking for a solution, I came across an Octave 'portage' of the Matlab
> hdf_load function  here
> <http://lasp.colorado.edu/cism/CISM_DX/code/CISM_DX-0.50/required_packages-linux/tsds/deps/octave-rsw/octave-matlab-compat/octave/hdfread/octave/>
> . The two functions hdfinfo.m & hdfread.m cannot work unless I compile
> load_hdf.cc to get a load_hdf.o file. My attempt to compile load_hdf.cc in
> Octave actually fails too:
> octave:2> mkoctfile load_hdf.cc
>
> load_hdf.cc:14:28: fatal error: octave/ov-list.h:  No such file or directory
> #include <octave/ov-list.h>
>
> I understand that octave/ov-list.h should come with headers but even after I
> installed liboctave-dev, I end up with the same error. I cannot find any
> ov-list.h file on my system using locate ov-list.h, neither can I find
> mention of this files in Octave 3.6 from Debian packages.

I have not looked at this site or the code yet. However, that header
file is ancient (removed before the 3.4.0 release 3 years ago),
leading me to believe that this code that you found is unmaintained.
You could try to adapt it to 3.6.4 you are working with or see if
anyone else has already done so.

> Any help on how to sort this problem out? Would be great because I have tons
> of hdf files to process...

The best solution for everyone would be to implement the h5* set of
functions as part of Octave itself. Do you have time or skills to help
with that? Or funds to finance a developer to implement them for you?

At the very least you can submit a feature request to the bug tracker

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

HTH,

--
mike