Re: GNU Octave 3.8.0 Released

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 3.8.0 Released
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 01:20:04 -0500

[trimmed cc to just the help list]

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 21:54:52 -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> I have read http://octave.org/NEWS-3.8.html and have the following questions:
>
> 1) has Octave packaging been redefined (or, rather, properly defined) ? And,
> correspondingly, has 'pkg.m' been reimplemented ?

No redefinition or reimplementation, some minor bug fixes, functionality
is mostly identical to the previous release.

> 2) taking into account the following from http://octave.org/NEWS-3.8.html :
>

> "
> The following configuration variables have been deprecated in Octave 3.8 and
> will be removed from Octave 3.12 (or whatever version is the second major
> release after 3.8): CC_VERSION  (now GCC_VERSION) CXX_VERSION (now
> GXX_VERSION)
> "
>
> can Octave be built with LLVM ? If yes, what does GCC in GXX in GCC_VERSION
> and GXX_VERSION have to do with it ?

Yes, Octave can be built with clang. I have built it with clang 3.3. If
CC and CXX are not GNU, then GCC_VERSION and GXX_VERSION evaluate to an
empty string, the version strings are only valid for the GNU compiler.
This has always been the case, hence the deprecation of the old
misleading names.

HTH,

--
mike