Calling Octave function from C or C++

From: Patrick Hinkle
Subject: Calling Octave function from C or C++
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 16:09:00 -0800

I am working with Apple's Xcode development environment and have octave installed with it's enormous amount of headers and other files that I use to program successfully with Octave from the Terminal.
The best tutorial that I have read is 'Da Coda Al Fine: Pushing Octave limits', here is the link.  This doc starts by writing an octave function and then calling it from a C++ file.
My main obstacle at this time is how I should import the octave header files into Xcode to give my C++ program octave's functionality.  Many of the various programs that I have read including the one referenced above start with '#include <octave/oct.h> and all I have done is click and dragged files and folders of octave headers and implied functionally but, no surprisingly is not enough.  When I build the project it will say about my first line that says '#include <octave/oct.h) that there is "no file found in the directory.'
What do I have to do to make the Xcode build process acknowledge my rich set of octave files that would allow me to include octave functions and commands in a C++ program following the techniques of chapter 1 of 'Da Coda Al Fine: Pushing Octave Limits'?