Re: Error with enable-64

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Error with enable-64
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:14:49 -0500

On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 09:31 -0700, Mark Rogers wrote:
> I don't know if this list is even active, as I had no response, but
> there is no need to respond now as I found the problem.

It is active, but probably not as active this time of year.

> For some reason the synaptic package manager had installed multiple
> copies of the libraries in different directories (e.g., /usr/lib,
> /usr/lib/libblas, /usr/lib/lapack) in addition to symbolic links.

If you're attempting the 64 bit indexing build, you cannot use the
packages provided by Debian or Ubuntu, so you shouldn't use synaptic
at all. The system packages are compiled with 32-bit indexing. You
have to rebuild everything yourself without the help of synaptic.

You also shouldn't be manually messing around with symlinks in /usr
and bypassing the system packaging mechanism.

Instead, uninstall whatever packages you installed with synaptic and
recompile everything yourself, installing to /usr/local or /opt or
whatever other prefix you prefer.

> When I replaced all the copies (and reset the links) it started to
> work.

Possibly at the expense of confusing apt. If you stepped over apt's
toes, you might see breakage in the future if you do "apt-get upgrade"
or similar.

- Jordi G. H.