Re: Equivalent RandStream() in Octave?

From: lisa_octave
Subject: Re: Equivalent RandStream() in Octave?
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 20:19:25 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear that it is not essential. I actually
just want to generate some random numbers in a series. But these are objects
I needed from the RandStream, do you know if there's any way to avoid using
these?

S = RandStream('mlfg6331_64');%Zigurrat algo which allows reproducibility
Options =
statset('UseParallel','always','Streams',S,'UseSubstreams','always');
useParallel     = strcmpi(statget(options,'UseParallel'), 'always');
useSubstreams   = strcmpi(statget(options,'UseSubstreams'), 'always');
streamArg       = statget(options,'Streams');

I actually didn't understand the intros on matlab website of these series.
In my mind, I would only use things like rnorm() in R without referring to
random seed or other advanced stuff... If possible, could you pls say more
about the necessity in using a RandStream or other random draw functions?

Thanks very much!