grayscale image processing

From: fulviosaccoccia
Subject: grayscale image processing
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 01:39:53 -0800 (PST)

Dear Octave users,
this is my first post.
I would like to extract a 3xN matrix from grayscale image files (tiff, img,
cbf format). These images contain a series of "2D peaks". Each of these
peaks are ultimately a cluster of high intensity grayscale pixel I  already
know to follow a Normal distribution, over a background of low intensity
pixel. Then, I would like to obtain a three columns matrix where the first
two columns report the coordinates in pixels, while the third one report the
intensity of gray. Later, my purpose will be to analize the distribution of
the maximum of the intensity of gray. Ultimately, I would to reconstruct a
series of Gaussian by the data extracted from the images.
The final goal will be to ascertain if a "peak" in the original image
contain the contribution of a minor "satellite peak".
I have used

I=imread("file.tiff") in order to otain the I matrix but I do not know how
to deal with it to finally obtain the 3xN matrix.

Hoping I have been clear,
thank you to all
Fulvio