Re: Octave/Msys Beep Disable on WIndows

From: JasonNicholson
Subject: Re: Octave/Msys Beep Disable on WIndows
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 10:09:33 -0800 (PST)

So I found a case where this method does not work.  I do no understand why.
Can someone who understands MSYS well suggest something better?

Here is an alternate method if the 1st method listed does not work.

*ALTERNATE METHOD*

1.  Start octave.  Type getenv('HOME').  Whatever the is returned is the
location you use to create the file ".inputrc".  If HOME is empty, you need
to change directory to "/" (type "cd /") and then type "pwd" to find out
what directory to use.  Note this as known as the root director.  In my case
this returned "C:\".
2.  Create a text file called ".inputrc".  Please note you cannot do this
from Windows Explorer.  Explorer does not allow you to create text files
starting with periods from Windows Vista on.  Instead, open your text editor
and save the file as ".inputrc".  If you don't know what text editor you are
using, use notepad.exe that ships with Windows,
START-->PROGRAMS-->ACCESSORIES-->NOTEPAD.
3.  Add the command

/set bell-style none/

to your ".inputrc" file.  Note that my .inputrc ended getting saved to
C:\.inputrc
4.  Restart Octave and see if the beep is gone.

Commentary

This method is based on the information found from here:
http://philwilson.org/blog/2009/02/disable-system-bell-in-msys
<http://philwilson.org/blog/2009/02/disable-system-bell-in-msys>  .  MSYS is
looking for its ".inputrc" file-- which is the start up configuration file--
in the home directory.  However, since the environmental variable HOME is
not set in some versions of Octave, MSYS will look in the root directory, /.
Often this is C:\ on windows.  I am contemplating if this should be
considered a bug because you then have a configuration file that is not
located in the user directory (C:\Users\YourUserName) or Octave install
directory.