help installing functions from repository (was: Re: Built-in paralleliza

From: Olaf Till
Subject: help installing functions from repository (was: Re: Built-in parallelization in optimization functions)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 13:32:29 +0100

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:44:31AM +0100, Žiga Povalej wrote:
> I would like to thank You for the implementation of parallel
> approach for the nonlinear optimization.
>
> Could You please explain how can one install only one function from
> the repository. If it helps, I am using Linux Ubuntu 13.04.

Hello Žiga,

it is better to keep the mailing list in CC, since installation issues
are something with which others may be more familiar than me.

Installing single functions may be more effort than installing a whole
package.

In any case, first get the package directory from the repository. (You
must have mercurial installed.) To do this, in the shell, 'cd' to the
directory under which you want to put the package directory, then:

umask 022
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/optim optim

will create a subdirectory 'optim' with the package files from the
current version in the repository.

(For other packages than 'optim' there may be additional steps
necessary here.)

To use the respective functions, you must have the Octave packages
struct (>= 1.0.10) and parallel (>= 2.0.5) installed. To install the
whole package, you must additionally have the Octave package
miscellaneous (>= 1.0.10) installed.

To install the whole optim package, you may first to have to uninstall
the respective package provided by the package system of your
operating system. Then, still from your current directory in the
shell:

tar -czf optim-1.2.2.tar.gz optim/
su

and as root, start Octave and from Octave:

> pkg install -auto optim-1.2.2.tar.gz

Without installing the whole optim package, you could create a
directory somewhere and put it in Octaves path or change the current
working directory of Octave to it. Into this directory, you could put
the following functions (enabled to compute in parallel or indirectly
needed) from the packages 'inst' subdirectory:

cpiv_bard.m, curvefit_stat.m, gjp.m, nonlin_curvefit.m, nonlin_min.m,
nonlin_residmin.m, residmin_stat.m, and the whole subdirectory
'private'.

Olaf