Many octave instances

From: Bart Verleye
Subject: Many octave instances
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:39:56 +1300

Dear Octave developers,

We try to run about 8000 octave instances at the same time on our cluster. Running a single job goes perfectly, and takes about 15min. Running up to 300 jobs goes well too. However, more than that, and the program hangs.

From a little debugging, we think the cause is that every octave instance tries to read the directory it was called from, looking for .m files and functions. The directory contains quite a lot of files, and if 8k instances try to read the same file(s), concurrency issues come up (we use gpfs).

Do you think this explanation makes sense? Is there any way I can avoid octave from reading the files in that directory?

Thanks and kind regards,
Bart

--
Dr. Bart Verleye