Re: JIT on Octave 3.8

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: JIT on Octave 3.8
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 19:07:09 -0500

On Sat, 2013-11-09 at 14:09 +0100, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> Several months ago I compiled from the sources enabling JIT, but it
> run only for very simple loops. Is yet ready for production?

No.

There are a few extra patches about compiling a few extra types that
haven't been merged in to the default branch yet. Despite this, some
of the most interesting things that you would want to compile
involving function calls or exponents are not yet compiling.

For the next release, we have decided to compile by default with JIT
but disable it by default at runtime, because a few segfaults have
been observed with it.

Rik has been doing a wonderful job of release management. You can
track the progress of the next release here:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Release_3.8

At the moment, we seem to be focussing on a few stray bugs an ensuring
that we can build binary installers for Windows and Mac OS X.

- Jordi G. H.