Re: PCRE supposedly no UTF support

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: PCRE supposedly no UTF support
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 04:15:12 -0800 (PST)

ahowe42 wrote

/
/

/
/
> .

No, the error you see is completely unrelated to questdlg and well, sorry to
say, your analysis is a bit besides the point. Doesn't matter, you've done
what you could to track it down yourself, appreciated :-)

1) questdlg is an m-file function, so it cannot be invoked as a Java method.
It has to be called from the Octave command line or in another m-file.

2) If the error were in questdlg.m, you would have seen error messages
mentioning "questdlg" or Java error messages.

Instead you see a glib error about pcre. So one of them doesn't like the
other.

The actual error looks to be a mismatch between Octave and the (pcre?)
libraries on your system. I'm not even 100 % sure it is pcre that is at
fault.
Did you build Octave itself? If so, the problem is probably that your Octave
has been compiled with "old" (pcre?) libs/headers. You cannot solve that by
just replacing them with newer libraries afterward. You'd need to recompile
/ rebuild Octave with newer dependencies (incl. something like ?pcre-dev?).

As to going back to 3.4.3: I don't fully understand your problem. Octave
installs packages (and the binary parts of them) separately for each
different Octave version. That way you can have various different Octave
versions installed next to each other.
Unless of course your distro's package manager fubars that scheme. But that
wouldn't be something that the Octave community can -or wants to- solve.

Philip