Re: octave update

From: c.
Subject: Re: octave update
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 13:02:54 +0100

On 2 Nov 2013, at 12:46, jacopo rocchi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
> i'd like to install the package statistics but had a old version of octave,
> and thus i tried to update it.
> Finally, i got the latest version, that's the 3.7.7 and if i now try to
> install statistics i got the message
> statistics needs io >= 1.0.18
> and thus, if if i try to update io, i got
> io needs octave <= 3.7.1
>
> So, if there's no solution to this problem, could you please tell me where
> to easily download the version 3.7.1?
> I'm a mac user ( :/ ) and all the package manager such as fink, macport and
> homebrew does not work in installing octave...
> I found a web page where there was file.dmg, it must have been something
> like sourceforge.org, but it apparently has only the latest version.
>
> Any suggestion?
> Thanks

In Octave development version numbers with an odd second digit are not
meant for public release but are snapshots created for testing only.

In particular the 3.7.7+ bundle is just a preview of the upcoming 3.8
release and is not really meant for "production" use.

The version you actually want is 3.6.4.

This page:

wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

describes your current options for installing a stable version of Octave on OSX.

c.