Re: XML functions

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: XML functions
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:22:33 -0700 (PDT)

[Pascou] wrote

> PhilipNienhuis wrote
>> However:
>> The xmlread and xmlwrite functions are badly documented; I haven't been
>> able to get them to work properly (but admittedly I'm an XML n00b). Maybe
>> you can. If you do manage, please supply a concise write-up on how to
>> invoke them.
>>
>> In addition I suspect you need to supply your own dtd file to use them.
>>
>> Philip
> After installing the package with some difficulties (you may be an XML
> noob but I'm a Linux one), I tried to run my script and this was the error
> message I got : "can't perform indexing operations for
> <unknown type>
>  type". Could you tell me if you know the cause of this error.

No, sorry. Told you so :-)
But in more general terms, such an error message alone doesn't tell us much
anyway.
Better provide the (relevant parts of the) script + some data + the full
error message, plus OS, version and Octave version; perhaps then we can help
you get a bit further. After all, you and I have the source....

> I need to generate a basic XML file with a .m script, which contains few
> datas (number and string). Nothing huge. Maybe you have another
> proposition than using xmlread and xmlwrite.

Some weeks ago there was a thread in the help ML suggesting to use a
specific XML library from (IIRC) Matlab Central. Many Octave devs don't
endorse that due to TMW's licensing, but for personal use, well, make your
own decision.

Other than that you can try to invoke the enormously rich and well-tested
XML software base written in Java. See the various Apache projects (start
here: http://xml.apache.org/) (don't drown in there! :-) it's overwhelming).
Parsers, validators, whatnot.
The Java package (and Octave's built-in Java in the 3.7.2+ versions) offer
good support for these Java-based SW packages.

Philip