Re: Octave as commercial applications calculation core

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave as commercial applications calculation core
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:40:18 +0200

On 27 Sep 2013, at 11:05, schallb <address@hidden> wrote:

> Now i am not sure if i can use the Octave Plugin in a commercial
> application. It is not possible to release the commercial Software under
> GPL. The Plugin can be GPL for shure. It only offers a .Net Interface to
> call Ocatve functions over a defined interface ICalculationCore.

Octave is disributed under the terms of the GPLv3 license.

If your application can be considered "derivative work" of Octave,
it must be distributed under a GPL compatible license too.

I am personally under the impression that your setup might be
considered as "derivative work", but I am not a lawyer.

If you want a professional opinion, I'd suggest you consider
using the FSF GPL compliance certification service:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/compliancelab.html

HTH,
c.