problem running octave with Windows 8

From: martha blake
Subject: problem running octave with Windows 8
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 13:17:51 -0500

Hello,
I am a student at the University of North Texas and my instructor encouraged us to use octave for homework that requires MATLAB. I downloaded octave and installed it without problems and was able to read the instruction manual but when I type 'octave' to get a command line I get an error that closes the program. I am using Windows 8 and did not see that as a supported operating system. Is there something I can do to be able to use octave? Thank you for your support.

Martha Blake